Octopus tattoos are undeniably gaining more and more popularity these days. Who would have thought that a deep blue sea creature like octopus can be an excellent subject for tattooing? There is no way you cannot make everyone’s head turns once they see your octopus art. Aside from the fact that an octopus designed tattoo can be a very beautiful decoration on your body, such image will also mean a lot of things. Among those extremely gorgeous tattoo designs that you can see nowadays, this one is one of the most unique ones. Such tattoo can make you become an interesting person in the eyes of many people, persuading them to know you even better.
Octopus Tattoos Meanings
For sure, you are not that aware that tattoos like an octopus are symbolizing a lot of things. Yes, you read it right. These tattoos have way important purposes apart from making your physical appearance cool and interesting. In this regard, here are some of the things that are symbolized:
- Mysticism – Since humans are not that aware of what is happening under the deep blue ocean where a number of octopus and some other ocean creatures are living, it is just normal for people to consider octopus as a mystical living thing. What is even making it more mystical is the fact that it has a very unique form and image. In case you want to tell other people that you are a mysterious type of a person, then an octopus art is perfect for you.
- Adaptability – An octopus is a very adaptable living organism in the ocean. When it senses danger like a certain predator is chasing it, it has a special mechanism that allows it to release a black liquid substance that can help them in camouflaging in order to lure their predators. It can even change its color like a chameleon. If you’re a versatile person and can easily adapt to any environment, then having this art would be great.
- Resilience – Without a doubt, octopus is very resilient in the deep blue sea since it can protect itself against other sea creatures that can harm them, and even those some other creatures that are not living in the sea like humans. It can face and overcome a lot of dangers that may come on its way. This is why this is a popular choice of numerous resilient people in the world.
- Courage – Another thing that is symbolized is courage. The explanation for this is that this sea creature is capable enough in regrowing its limbs after being cut due to a number of reasons like predator attack. As days go by, the cut limbs will regrow causing octopus to live its life again as if nothing happened. This is just like the lives of those people who have been through tough times in their lives, but still remain in one piece.
The placement of a tattoo is largely determined by its size and design because the larger the size of the tattoo, the larger is its space requirement and it has to be inked on a part which fulfills this criteria. Since an octopus has a total of 8 limbs which are long and flexible, a tattoo design featuring the creature can also be big or small. A large design which shows the tentacles extended over a big area can ideally be inked on the stomach, rib, shoulder, thigh, lower back, with tentacles spreading out to cover the hips and the spine. Similarly, it can be started at the shoulder and extended across the chest or the design would also look good on the legs, reaching up to the feet.
Larger ones are preferred by men, while women love flaunting small and elegant tattoos. Such designs can be featured on the sleeve, ankles, wrists, fingers, back of the ear and neck. A cool and attractive option for women is to have it inked on the belly button, with the tentacles reaching around the stomach area.
Popular Designs to Choose For Octopus Art
Once you have finally decided to choose octopus art, you will surely be happy to know that there are a lot of designs that you can take into account that will be engraved on your body. These designs will certainly mesmerize you, but you cannot choose all of them of course. Even though they are all gorgeous, some of them may not match your purpose of having such tattoo. This is why you need to be careful in choosing. Here are some of the designs that are worth considering:
- Cartoon Octopus Design – In case you want to be a little playful on your octopus art, then the cartoon octopus design is worth considering. You can make the image of an octopus human-like by putting eyes on it, hat and any other things that human beings are usually wearing. You can also decide on the colors. If you are thinking that it cannot look elegant, then think again. It will certainly look as elegant as you want it to be through the help of your hired professional tattoo artist.
- Japanese Octopus Design – Octopus is a very important symbol in the Japanese culture. This is the main reason why having a Japanese octopus art is the desire of many tattoo lovers. The entire design will look even more beautiful and meaningful when incorporated with some other designs that have strong relation to the Japanese culture such as a lily flower. The best color for this particular design is blue or purple.
- Blue-Ringed Octopus Design – The blue-ringed octopus is among those sea creatures that are featured by many since it is a very deadly living organism. It can release a very poisonous venom that can kill any individual in just a matter of seconds. In case you want to show to the other people around you that you are someone whom they should not get to mess with, then why not consider wearing a blue-ringed.
- Tribal Octopus Design – Who says a tribal design is not applicable for octopus art? There is no way it cannot look good on you since a tribal design is known for its amazing and artistic beauty. The trick here is to make the tentacles of the octopus wear the tribal lines and curves. You can also add some more smaller designs. Even so, make sure that these sub designs will perfectly match the entire tribal art design.
- Realistic 3d Octopus Art– This art feature the creature in its natural form, which requires a great degree of skill on the behalf of the artist. Popular variants under this style are the Asian style and blue ringed design
- Animated Octopus Art– This look more like a cartoon, with bright purple body, huge tentacles and protruding eyes, giving it a funny, sometimes scary look.
- This art make a great design option for tattoo enthusiasts who are looking for something cool and unique, yet something which has a deep symbolism associated with it. You might want to check our collection of Mother & Daughter tattoos, Best Friend tattoos, Sister tattoos.
Octopus tattoos are worth considering tattoos that can look great on your body. These can be used in emphasizing your gorgeous body features. Aside from that, you can also take advantage of these tattoos in showing your true self to the entire human race. You can pick a gorgeous design from a number of selections. However, it is important to choose the one that symbolizes the entire you. You can go for a tribal design, the blue-ringed and so much more.
With tattoo artists as well as tattoo lovers constantly looking for new and cool tattoo designs, octopus art seem like a fun option. These mystical creatures of the deep have some amazing qualities, which make them a popular tattoo choice for men and women. They are highly adaptable, can combat enemies with various means and can regenerate their lost limbs, which relate them with qualities like flexibility, intelligence and resilience.
Violet Octopus Art on Thigh
Violet Octopus on Thigh
Violet Octopus with Green Tentacles
Tribal Octopus Art
Tribal Octopus on Half Back Tattoo
The basic motive of having a tattoo inked is to grab the attention of others, which is well achieved if the tattoo design is unique as well as attractive. Artists have used objects of nature, animals fish, lion, wolf, elephant, dragon, celestial objects stars, moon, birds and many other elements such as dream catchers, feathers, anchors, arrows, compass, geometric, musical symbols, heart, infinity, trees, angels, wings for ages, as elements of tattoo art. One of the most unusual and alluring design elements which have been used in tattoos is the octopus art. There is something unique and amazing about this creature, which makes it even more fascinating than the others which live in the deep blue ocean. Besides its physical structure, octopus has the quality of being presentable in a wide variety of colors, sizes and designs.
Additionally, there is a great degree of symbolism attached with this art. This is what has made it one of the coolest design options today, for both, among men as well as women around the world.
Tribal Octopus Sleeve
Skull with Octopus Tentacles Tattoo
Tiny Dotted Octopus
Octopus with Ship Tattoo
All the creatures which live in the depth of ocean have always baffled and fascinated the human race because there is a great deal of mysticism attached with them. Octopus is no exception to the rule; in fact, its distinctive physical structure and qualities add even more mystery to its being as a whole. Here are some symbolic meanings associated with this amazing creature and tattoo designs featuring it:
- Octopus is considered as a creature of intelligence, adaptability and creativity, which adds an aura of positivity to this design. The creature has been known to protect itself from predators by a special mechanism, which enables it to emit a black ink like substance that acts like a camouflage. It also has color changing capacity, just like a chameleon, which makes it adapt easily to dangers of the deep. Hence, octopus signify adaptability and resilience.
- This wonderful creature has the ability to re grow one or more of its limbs, which might have been lost due to an accident or predator attack. This again, is an ovation to the resilience of the octopus, which is all about coming back strong despite all the adversities of life and moving ahead with it in spite of the unfavorable substances. This is what makes the octopus an ideal choice for those who have been through a rough phase, yet have shown the courage and resilience to bounce back. Amazingly, there are times when the creature intentionally sheds one or more of its tentacles, which implies that it can give up the excess baggage and the design inspires the humans to do the same and move ahead, leaving the negativity of the past behind them.
- Octopus is an invertebrate, which implies that it does not have a spine. This accounts for the flexibility and grace of this creature, as it moves around in water with great agility. The same is signified by the octopus design, which is that one should be flexible enough to adapt in all kinds of situations which life has to present and face the worst with true grace and patience.
- Octopus is the symbol of number 8, taken from its 8 limbs. Eight has been a number matched with infinity sin, which adds a mystical quality to it. Perhaps, this is what makes some people revere this creature as a scared one.
- Octopus is used as a totem animal by many people, which implies the association to a certain animal or creature which signifies the feelings as well as behavioral attributes of the person. Octopus signifies energy and surviving spirit, which make it popular as a totem animal and many people around the world choose this particular design for the reason.
- In some cultures, the octopus has been considered as a symbol of feminine energy because of its association with ocean. Ocean is linked with moons, which brings tides and constant motion in it and moon signifies the female power. This is the reason why this tattoo design is as popular among women, as it is among men.
- There are some cultures which link the creature with negativity and evil, as mythology has compared the creature with a jealous and angry monster. The tentacles represent its evil powers because they are used to grab the prey and strangulate it.
Tattoo bearers can interpret any of these meanings before they take a decision of bearing an octopus tattoo design, because understanding the true significance and symbolic meaning of a design is of utmost importance before having it inked. Getting a tattoo means that one is willing to bear the pain and spend a great deal of time and money, beside the fact that it is going to be a part of the body for a lifetime. This makes choice of design something very crucial. Check our collections of White Ink tattoos, Biomechanical tattoos, Tribal tattoos, Henna tattoos for creative ideas.