With the types of piercings currently in existence, it is easy for anyone to get confused when making their choice. Of course, the first thing anyone planning to have body modification would do will be to choose the kind of piercing that will be fitting. That is where knowing the different piercings available is vital. The helix piercing is a popular body modification you will find on some individuals.
Meaning of helix piercing
Helix piercings are very popular as early pointed out. It is also a piercing that most people like to have because of the position it is placed on the ear. The helix piercings are made on the ear’s upper cartilage but have in mind that different style of these piercing exists.
The standard helix piercing is one of them and done mostly on the outer upper cartilage. But there is a difference between it and the double helix piercing. If there are two piercings on one spot, that is the double helix. But if the piercings are up to three, then it is called the triple helix piercing. But there are other types you need to know.
Meaning of the Forward Helix Piercing
This piercing is complicated as many piercers or technicians would say. It is also popular and not like the ordinary helix kind of piercings. In these forward helix piercings, a hole is made at the ear’s upper layer. If the styling with the right jewelry is done well, the individual’s look will change for good.
Now the best way to understand the area to have this piercing is this; follow your ear cartilage curve until you get to the side of this face. There are also different kinds of forwarding helix piercings one can get.
The Different Kinds of the Forward Helix Piercings
Knowing the different style of the helix piercings available will save you from changing styles on a regular basis. You will be able to tell which of them will suit you better. That said the different types are single, double or triple forward helix piercing.
The single forward helix piercing:
In this kind, the piercing is on the upper layer of one’s ear. But the good thing is that it doesn’t hurt much when you create a hole on this part of the ear. And the healing time is also faster.
Double forward helix piercings:
This kind of piercing might look a bit extreme, but it is the same process as the single type. Double or two perforations are mostly on the upper layer of the ear with a single or double jewelry added to the spot. But the only thing is the pain of this double piercing is a bit higher than the single type. Also, the healing time is a bit longer.
Triple forward helix piercing:
In this case, you will find triple piercings in the upper layer of the ear. And after the piercings, three pieces of jewelry are put on that hole. It is best to choose right quality jewelry for any piercing whether single, double or triple. It does matter concerning your health. However, the triple forward piercing is said to be more attractive because of the number of jewelry that enters the hole and sticks near each other. But know that pain can be more extreme, and the healing process can take a bit longer.
Forward helix piercing pain: Is it that painful?
When people think of getting any of these body modifications, the first thing that comes to mind is wouldn’t it be painful? Can I survive this pain? Of course, you can. But as earlier stated, the piercing you have will determine the level of pain you are going to experience.
The forward piercing is one of the most painful, but not the same pain as a bullet wound. In most cases, the pain is a bit higher when you make use of a thicker bar, say 1.6mm. This kind of bar thickness will be more painful when made to pass through your cartilage during perforation. If given a chance to rate this forward piercing pain level, you can say a ratio 6/10.
The Simple Forward Helix Piercing Procedure
It is best to familiarize with the procedure of these piercings to know if it is something you would like to have. Most people who don’t might regret after having it, although it is sporadic. Below are the simple procedures of these perforations. But remember it should be handled by a real professional.
- The first thing is to contact the professional piercer to book an appointment. But make sure you have read and understood a little bit about having your cartilage perforated.
- Remember to use a professional who can handle it well and select the right jewelry when going for this procedure. You can ask the professional piercer for jewelry suggestions too. The right jewelry will not cause you to have bumps in the site of the piercing or increase your pain.
- The needle is well-sterilized before use. And this is very important to ensure you don’t contract an infection that will lead to something else. Infections can cause bumps which are unsightly.
- Before starting this procedure, the piercer has to leave a mark on the specified area agreed upon, which is the upper layer of your ear.
- The needle is then used to perforate the ear to leave a hole on the marked spot. At this point, you will feel a sharp pain like insect bite which also varies depending on the type of piercings you are getting.
- Once the piercing is complete, the jewelry is then placed in the hole created. The jewelry should be properly placed and screwed to avoid falling. The forward helix piercing is a bit challenging for piercers because of the sensitive nature of the area. That is why it is best to seek the service of a well-trained professional to ensure the process is done accurately.
Facts about Infection and Pain after Forward Helix Piercing
Before or after the piercing, you need to acquaint yourself with what could happen when you get the forward helix piercing or any other body modifications. Knowing what can keep you alert and help you curb any adverse reaction that may occur.
- After you might have had the forward helix piercing, you may experience redness, swelling, and a little bit of pain in the spot at the beginning. The pain is healthy, and there is no cause for alarm. But know that you can hasten up the healing process through proper care. And ensure that the needle used by the professional is sterilized adequately before allowing it to go through your skin.
- Your sleeping has to change a bit during the healing time. If you have already gotten used to sleeping sideways, you might want to consider changing that to avoid discomfort and pain. Avoid sleeping on your left or right side for the time being if you had both ears pierced. Troubling the pierced spot can cause inflammation and more pain for you. It might even delay the healing process due to reoccurring injuries.
- Remember to clean both sides of the ear correctly after taking your bath. Dirt should not reside in those pierced areas as well. Any form of dirtiness can cause infection which might jeopardize your effort to get the perfect piercings. On the other hand, many persons reportedly had excessive swelling in their pierced ears which shows their body is reacting to the ear modification they had. Others might get nausea, yellow pus, fever, vomiting, and other allergic reactions after undergoing these ear piercings. But there are still people who don’t get any of such responses. Once the process is complete, the next thing is to nurse the perforated region to heal faster.
Must-know facts about the Forward Helix Piercing Aftercare
After having your ears pierced, there are things you need to do to the perforated spot does not get contaminated. These are the aftercare procedures to follow after getting your ears pierced.
- The first thing to do is to make sure you don’t use your bare hands to touch the jewelry or perforated spot unless it has been properly washed and dried. Doing this will prevent you from contamination. Another thing is to ensure you clean the pierced region often. Use warm but salty water and a cotton ball. Use the new cotton ball and clean warm water as well. Try to avoid dirt from coming in contact with the spot. Your hand, material, and water should be clean. You can also use anti-bacterial soap when cleaning the pierced area. Washing should be twice daily and wipe with a clean towel.
- You should also prevent cream or lotion from coming in contact with this area. And don’t attempt to change the jewelry when the hole is yet to heal completely. Also, if the pain won’t go away or the healing is slow, seek professional advice on what to do. But know that your healing can take more than two months, and it varies from person to person.
- Choose your jewelry wisely. If your forward helix piercing is still in the healing process, you don’t need jewelry that is too heavy or uncomfortable. The excess weight might delay the healing time. Jewelry shouldn’t also be elaborate to avoid any mishap that might occur or a situation where it gets stuck on your hair. You can choose a labret stud or curved barbell of at least 1.2 mm.
How long will helix piercing healing last?
There are many conflicting views regarding how long it takes for these types of piercings to heal. And according to most piercers, it takes 12 weeks. Others believe it can take longer time. The bottom line is helix piercing takes longer than 12 weeks or less. The healing time depends on the individual and differs from person to person.
When is the appropriate time to change helix piercing jewelry?
It is not proper to change jewelry when the perforated spot is still in the healing process. You have to wait for it to heal wholly before you can do that. Changing the jewelry when the pierced spot hasn’t yet recovered can cause more injury. The right time to put another is when you don’t feel pain or sore any longer in that spot.
The Kind of Jewelry Your Piercer Might Use
If what you had is a standard piercing, the stud is what the piercer might end up using. Stud is closer a bit to titanium and tagged the least reactive metal as the case may be. This type of jewelry usually has a tight back which prevents it from falling off from the pierced spot. The forward helix piercing has a special bar used for piercing which is called the eyebrow bar or curved barbell. The bar is usually 1.2mm in thickness.
Things to consider when seeking a good quality piercer
There are many things to consider when looking for the right place. One of them is someone who is highly confident of what he is doing and can answer any of your questions with competence. It shows that the individual in question is well grounded in the piercing business. Such persons will most definitely do the right thing and not put your health in jeopardy.
Also, you need to find out how jewelry sterilization is done, and the number of gloves that are likely to be worn throughout the procedure. You might also request to have a look at the autoclaves to see for yourself and check to make sure the studio is tidy and neat. However, most people rely on rating sites like Yelp to know the finest piercers to use. You can do the same thing or ask people who have had such body modifications in the past.
However, the quality of materials and jewelry are also important factors to consider. If the studio you are going to have your piercing does not invest in quality equipment and jewelry, you had better visit another piercer.
The beauty of any helix piercing lies on the jewelry and neatness of the perforated area. If there are bumps, the spot will look unsightly. The primary thing to focus on after getting this modification is care. You have to take the right measures early to ensure your piercing does not contract an infection. Another thing is to select the right jewelry for your piercing and know the right thing to change or how to handle the jewelry.